Pengikut

Ahad, 17 Januari 2010

Kartika goes from rotan to writing

Kartika Sari Dewi Shukarno is planning to write a book about her trials and tribulations.

The 33-year-old mother of two said she started penning her thoughts last August, on the day religious authorities took her in a van from her house in Perak to the Kajang Prison in Selangor to carry out the Kuantan Syariah High Court’s order for her to be caned for consuming alcohol in public.

“Although the van made a U-turn and took me home after travelling a short distance when the authorities decided to postpone the canning, the experience and anticipation left such a huge impact on me that I decided to pen my thoughts.


Dream comes true: Kartika holding up the ‘umrah’ offer letter at the handing-over ceremony in Ampang Saturday.

“I jotted down what I was feeling while I was still in the van.

“When I was sent back home that day, I suddenly felt the urge to perform the umrah in Mecca.

“I will pray to Allah to give me the strength and courage to pick up the pieces and carry on with my life,’’ said Kartika, before breaking down in tears.

Kartika received a 14-day umrah package from a tour agency yesterday.

Sources close to Kartika said she lost her job because of the court case, and was in the process of divorcing her Singaporean husband because the long wait for the sentence to be carried out had taken a toll on their long-distance relationship.

On July 20, last year, the court ordered her to be caned six times and fined RM5,000 after she was caught drinking at a hotel in Cherating on July 11, 2008.

Kartika paid the fine, but the caning has yet to be carried out.

She said her experiences in life would serve as a lesson for the younger generation.

“I am also grateful to Gemilang Travel and Tours for supporting my wish to perform the umrah,’’ she said, after receiving the package in conjunction with the opening of the company’s new office at the Ara Ampang commercial complex here yesterday.

Kartika said she was hoping to perform the umrah in March, after finalising her divorce.

“Right now, I need peace of mind. I hope to find it in Mecca,” she said.

Tiada ulasan:

Catat Ulasan